This make-ahead appetizer picks up wonderful flavor from the vinegar and spices. I’ve made it with fat-free mozzarella, and it still tasted just as good.—Rita Reinke, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 piece (4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut mozzarella cheese into 1/2-in. cubes; prick with a fork. Place in a glass bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; let cool to room temperature. Pour over cheese. Stir gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Yield: 1/4 pound.
Originally published as Marinated Mozzarella in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p46