Flavorful Italian Subs
Olive lovers are sure to adore this easy-to-make sandwich from Delores Christner of Spooner, Wisconsin. Marinated in white wine vinegar and garlic for an extra kick, the olives' bold taste is tempered with provolone, ham and salami.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 sandwich buns (10 inches each), split
- 8 thin slices hard salami
- 8 slices deli ham (1/2 ounce each)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (1 ounce each)
- 2 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, parsley and garlic. Stir in olives. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place about 2 tablespoons olive mixture on the bottom of each bun. Layer with salami, ham, cheese and lettuce. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 729 calories, 45g fat (16g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 2384mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Italian Subs in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009