Flavorful French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup A.1. steak sauce
- HOMEMADE CROUTONS:
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the onions, brown sugar and pepper; cook over low heat until onion are lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle onions with flour; stir to blend. Gradually stir in broth. Add wine and steak sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with oil and butter. Combine oregano, basil, salt and pepper; sprinkle over bread and toss to coat.
- Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish soup with croutons and cheese.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2012
Incredible! It took awhile to make because of the cooking times for the onions, but you could leave it, and I think it was totally worth it. Full of flavour, and the croutons are so good that I use them for lots of other things too.
Jun 20, 2010
Dec 18, 2009
I'm not really into onions.. however, this recipe was very flavorful, just like the name suggests. I wanted to try out something different since my folks were visiting. Mom loved it.. dad resisted since he's not into the onions like me... but I will definitely make this again!