Flavorful Dried Fruit Bars
"These yummy bars are packed with naturally sweet fruit and tasty spices, so no one even misses the sugar," assures field editor Ruth Seitz from Columbus Junction, Iowa.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dried plums
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine water, dates, plums and raisins. Cook over medium heat until fruit is softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Cool. Stir in egg substitute and vanilla. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; stir in fruit mixture.
- Spread into an 11x7-in. baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 171 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Flavorful Dried Fruit Bars in Taste of Home December/January 1999