Flavorful Cream of Carrot Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 to 8 medium carrots (1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Place carrots, potatoes and water in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. In a skillet, saute onions and garlic in butter for 10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Place carrots, potatoes, onion mixture, salt and sugar in a blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth, adding reserved cooking liquid as needed. Pour into a 3-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven. Stir in milk and heat through. Add cream and cayenne; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 518mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 11, 2011
Very wonderful recipe with a very simple taste. I did change a couple things. First when the carrots and potatoes were cooking the 1 cup of water evaporated very quickly, even with a lid on the pan. I ended up having to add 3 cups total while the veggies were cooking just to have a little less then 1 cup veggie juice left over which is essential to help with the pureeing of the veggies when done. As far as the change in ingredients go I ended adding 6 garlic cloves total, I reduced the milk to 2 cups and upped the 1/2 & 1/2 to 2 cups. I think adding all the milk this recipe calls for would just make the soup too watery and I want the soup to be on the thicker side because there is no chucks or veggies/pasta in it. The onions may seem like a lot but it wasn't at all. So if you're a die hard carrot lover you definitely need to make this recipe, it was surprisingly very filling and the mild taste was just wonderful.