Flavorful Cream of Carrot Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 to 8 medium carrots (1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Place carrots, potatoes and water in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. In a skillet, saute onions and garlic in butter for 10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Place carrots, potatoes, onion mixture, salt and sugar in a blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth, adding reserved cooking liquid as needed. Pour into a 3-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven. Stir in milk and heat through. Add cream and cayenne; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 518mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 11, 2011
Very wonderful recipe with a very simple taste. I did change a couple things. First when the carrots and potatoes were cooking the 1 cup of water evaporated very quickly, even with a lid on the pan. I ended up having to add 3 cups total while the veggies were cooking just to have a little less then 1 cup veggie juice left over which is essential to help with the pureeing of the veggies when done. As far as the change in ingredients go I ended adding 6 garlic cloves total, I reduced the milk to 2 cups and upped the 1/2 & 1/2 to 2 cups. I think adding all the milk this recipe calls for would just make the soup too watery and I want the soup to be on the thicker side because there is no chucks or veggies/pasta in it. The onions may seem like a lot but it wasn't at all. So if you're a die hard carrot lover you definitely need to make this recipe, it was surprisingly very filling and the mild taste was just wonderful.