Flavorful Crawfish Etouffee
This dish is a pleasure to serve because it's attractive as well as tasty.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 pounds frozen cooked crawfish tails, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, whisk flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 10 minutes longer or until mixture is reddish-brown.
- Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, paprika, lemon juice and Creole seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in crawfish and heat through. Serve with rice.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 269 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Crawfish Etouffee in Country Extra September 2004