Flavorful Crawfish Etouffee
This dish is a pleasure to serve because it's attractive as well as tasty.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 pounds frozen cooked crawfish tails, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, whisk flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 10 minutes longer or until mixture is reddish-brown.
- Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, paprika, lemon juice and Creole seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in crawfish and heat through. Serve with rice.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 269 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Crawfish Etouffee in Country Extra September 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.