Flavorful Cranberry Rice Salad
I came up with the recipe because I wanted something different to take to picnics beside potato or macaroni salad. It goes great with grilled chicken or fish.—Jennifer Addotta, New Freedom, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Cook long grain rice and brown rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Add the celery, onion and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, parsley, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, stir in almonds and sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 191 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Rice Cranberry Salad in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.