Flavorful Cranberry Meat Loaf
A tangy cranberry sauce---with the interesting ingredient of sauerkraut---gives this meat loaf a holiday flavor. My mother and I have been making this recipe for years. - Denise Hoover, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Pour over meat loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
To make canned sauerkraut less salty, place it in a sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain well before using.