Flavorful Cornish Game Hens
“These hens taste wonderful. They’re just the right thing to serve when you’re having company over. Your guests will think you spent the whole day in the kitchen!” Kara de la Vega - Santa Rosa, CA
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; sprinkle over hens. In a large skillet, cook hens over medium-high heat in oil until browned on both sides. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute green onions and garlic until tender. Stir in broth and orange juice concentrate; pour over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender and juices run clear. To serve, drizzle with pan juices and sprinkle with almonds and parsley.
Originally published as Cornish Game Hens in Simple & Delicious November/December 2009