At least a triple batch of my chicken salad is needed to satisfy hungry relatives at our summer family reunion. It's the most requested recipe I make. This salad is so versatile, it can be scooped onto a bed of lettuce or stuffed into a pita.
Recommended: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup each chopped green pepper, red onion and celery
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 10 lettuce leaves
- 10 sandwich rolls, split
- In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice and soy sauce. Pour 1-1/2 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Drain; cool slightly. Shred chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, green pepper, onion and celery. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and seasonings. Spoon over chicken mixture; gently stir to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Serve on lettuce-lined rolls. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful Chicken Salad Sandwiches in Country Woman July/August 2004, p31