Flavorful Beef Brisket
A memorable part of my wedding day was the supper my mom prepared. This moist fork-tender brisket is a popular entree hearty appetites appreciate.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours + chilling
- 1 beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil on both sides over medium-high heat; drain. Top with onion, salt and pepper. Add water; cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove beef. Cool for 5 minutes; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Discard onion and cooking liquid. Slice meat 1/4 in. thick across the grain; place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-45 minutes or until heated through.
Editor’s Note: Refrigerating the beef overnight makes it possible to slice it very thinly.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Originally published as Flavorful Beef Brisket in Down the Aisle Country-Style
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.