This tasty and tender steak, served with a mild sweet-tart cranberry sauce, makes a pretty presentation for a special-occasion dinner, says Ellen De Munnik, Chesterfield, Michigan.
Recommended: 32 Super Steak Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the orange peel, salt and cinnamon; rub over steak. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. In a saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onions and garlic until tender. Add the cranberries, broth, wine or broth and cranberry juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into cranberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; keep warm.
- Broil steak 3-4 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness. Slice steak across the grain; serve with cranberry sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Flank Steak with Cranberry Sauce in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p42