Flank Steak with Cranberry Chimichurri
Chimichurri is an Argentinean herb sauce that's serve with grilled meats. The addition of cranberries makes this version not only festive, but delicious. It's a wonderful accompaniment to the tender flank steak.—Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup chimichurri)
- 1 medium papaya
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (2 pounds)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Peel and cube papaya, reserving seeds; place papaya and seeds in a food processor. Add the onion, cumin and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- For chimichurri, place the cilantro, parsley, cranberries, shallot, vinegar, paprika, garlic, oregano, lime zest, brown sugar, salt and pepper flakes in a clean food processor. While processing, gradually add oil and water in a steady stream. Refrigerate until serving.
- Drain beef and discard marinade. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting steak thinly across the grain. Serve with chimichurri.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 2 tablespoons chimichurri: 293 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Argentinean Flank Steak with Cranberry Chimichurri Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips