It takes just minutes to broil this nicely seasoned flank steak that’s served with made-in-minutes couscous. Slicing the meat on an angle across the grain produces the most tender results. If you prefer, a pound of sirloin steak can be used instead of the flank steak in this recipe.
Recommended: 52 Date Night Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 2 packages (5.8 ounces each) roasted garlic and olive oil couscous
- 3/4 cup diced roasted sweet red pepper, drained
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Preheat broiler. Mix first five ingredients. Place steak on a broiler pan; rub with garlic mixture.
- Broil 2-3 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°;), 7-8 minutes per side. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions. Stir in red pepper. Slice steak thinly across the grain. Drizzle with dressing; serve with couscous. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Flank Steak with Couscous in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p7