- 3/4 pound spicy sausage or chorizo, casings removed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups unseasoned croutons
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce or salsa verde
- Additional picante sauce or salsa, optional
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain. Add eggs, croutons, onions and parsley; mix well. Slice steak in half horizontally to within 1/2 in. of end; open steak and pound to 1-1/2-in. thickness. Spread with sausage mixture. Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning at a short end; tie with string. In a large skillet, brown steak in oil. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread picante sauce over steak. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until tender. Garnish with additional picante sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forFlank Steak Santa Fe
"Very good. I used Stuffing Mix instead of Croutons. I also used Bag Sausage instead of spicy. It came out just fine. One thing however, I would not cook it for any longer then 1-1/2 hours. It get a little dry if over cooked."