- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 French rolls, split
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, wine or broth, soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic, mustard and ginger. Pour 1-3/4 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Pour remaining marinade into another resealable plastic bag; add the peppers and onion. Seal bags and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Drain and discard marinade from vegetables. Place in a grill basket or disposable foil pan with slits cut in the bottom. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 9-11 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, combine the pepper, and remaining oil and garlic; brush over cut sides of rolls. Place cut side down on grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain; place on bun bottoms. Top with vegetables and bun tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFlank Steak Sandwiches
"This is the best one! Everyone loves it and I don't know how may people I have passed it on to."
"Amazing!! The marinade is delish! I will use the marinade to make just grilled veggies. Great flavor. The sandwiches were great, and we will eat this again and again!"