Flank Steak Salad
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 beef flank steak (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1. In a shallow dish, combine the lime juice, soy sauce, garlic and ginger; add the beef and turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain beef and discard marinade. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes. To serve, thinly slice across the grain.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, onion, sugar, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper; cover and process until pureed. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- 4. Place romaine and tomatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat. Divide among eight plates; top with steak.
1 each: 237 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jun 21, 2015
I ran out of ginger so I used a mixture of allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Yes, this changed the taste a little, but we still loved it. I will make this again with the ginger next time. The steak was unbelievably tender after broiling for 7 minutes on each side and allowing it to rest the full 10 minutes. Amazing!
Oct 27, 2012
The dressing reminds me of the ginger dressing used in Japanese restaurants. Love it.
Aug 9, 2010
I let my steak marinade overnight, used powdered ginger instead of fresh, and omitted the onions and pepper due to allergy issues - and it still came out wonderful! The dressing is very good. Although, I do think the salad portion size was a little on the small side - I added some spinach and extra romaine.
Apr 15, 2010
Mar 28, 2010
My husband, myself and our three year old had this for lunch. I used a smaller steak for the three of us and it was just the right amount. We marinated the flank steak over night and I cooked it in a skillet as we don't have a grill. The smell in the kitchen was amazing! The dressing has a little bit of a bit to it, but not so much that our three year old was turned off by it. Other than the wait while marinating, this was quick and easy to prepare. It was a great light meal.