- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 4 whole gyro-style pitas (6 inches)
- 4 pieces leaf lettuce, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill pitas, uncovered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until warm. Thinly slice beef across the grain. In a large bowl, toss the beef, lettuce and reserved marinade. Serve in pitas; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forFlank Steak Pitas
"My husband and I are on a guided weight reduction program and this recipe was a wonderful treat, especially because we don't often indulge in sandwiches. The sauce is delicious, and we plan to try it with chicken to accommodate family members who don't eat red meat. I'm sure we'll use yhis recipe often."