Flank Steak Pitas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 4 whole pita breads
- 4 pieces leaf lettuce, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup marinade into a shallow dish; add the beef and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill pitas, uncovered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until warm. Thinly slice beef across the grain. In a large bowl, toss the beef, lettuce and reserved marinade. Serve in pitas; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 362 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 19, 2010
My husband and I are on a guided weight reduction program and this recipe was a wonderful treat, especially because we don't often indulge in sandwiches. The sauce is delicious, and we plan to try it with chicken to accommodate family members who don't eat red meat. I'm sure we'll use yhis recipe often.