Flan de Vanilla
Flan is a traditional Mexican dessert with many variations. My version is sweet with a pleasant vanilla flavor and luscious caramel sauce.—Shelisa Terry, Henderson, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- Dash salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small heavy saucepan, spread 3/4 cup sugar; cook, without stirring, over medium-low heat until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to center of pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until melted sugar turns a medium amber color, about 5 minutes. Quickly pour into six ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and cream until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolks, salt and remaining sugar until blended but not foamy. Slowly whisk in hot milk mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Place custard cups in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Pour egg mixture into cups. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1/2 in. of top of cups. Bake 35-40 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove cups from water bath immediately to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- To unmold, run a knife around edges and invert onto individual rimmed dishes. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Originally published as Vanilla Flan in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.