Flaky Sweet Potato Biscuits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the sweet potato, milk and honey just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-8 times. Pat out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 120 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 10, 2016
I used almond meal instead of corn meal; and used 1 cup regular flour and 1 cup gluten-free flour. Delicious recipe. Thanks, DeLynne, for sharing this recipe.
Dec 8, 2015
Kids loved them even though they don't like sweet potatoes.
Apr 19, 2015
Delicious. I could have eaten the whole batch. First time I've ever made any type of homemade biscuit.
Mar 29, 2015
I have made these a few times and they are delicious. I often interchange the sweet potatoes for squash or pumpkin with equally good results.
Jan 14, 2015
Wow! These were very tasty, easy and moist! My teenage daughter loved them! Thanks for sharing!
Nov 18, 2013
Is sounds great.
Feb 19, 2011
These were delicious! My son kept asking for the yellow rolls! :D
Dec 5, 2010
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! These were so yummy. I served them for a special occasion and everyone wanted the recipe.
Oct 13, 2010
These were very good. I halved the recipe and got 8 buiscuits out of it. There is not an overpowering sweet potato flavor, so if you are looking for one, this is not the recipe to use.
Sep 25, 2010
I made this with Roasted chicken that was basted in an orange sauce. I added some orange zest to the biscuits and it complemented the meal perfectly.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.