Flaky Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine 4 teaspoons milk and water; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edge of pastry. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 7 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and remaining milk until smooth. Spread over bottom of crust; arrange strawberries over the top.
- 4. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Chill until partially set. Pour over berries. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 412 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Flaky Strawberry Pie
"I am not a fan of regular strawberry pie, but I really enjoy this recipe. I love the cream cheese filling, and it so nicely complements the berries. Delicious!"