Flaky Egg Bake Recipe
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 large eggs, divided use
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 30 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Return sausage mixture to skillet. Whisk five eggs; add to skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until set; stir in Havarti cheese. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil and remaining egg. Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- 3. Layer 10 sheets in prepared pan, brushing each sheet with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Top with half of the sausage mixture.
- 4. Layer with 10 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter; spread with ricotta mixture. Layer with five phyllo sheets, brushing again with butter; top with remaining sausage mixture. Layer with remaining phyllo and butter. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 rectangles. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: Look for phyllo dough in the frozen pastry section.
1 piece: 484 calories, 30g fat (17g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Flaky Egg Bake
"I love that you can make and freeze this. I froze in individual portions and just take out what you need. Does take a bit of time, but worth it."
"This stuff is great! I thought for sure I would change the recipe a little after the first time I made it exactly by the recipe. Well, I wouldn't change a thing. I randomly picked the recipe from the Taste of Home Magazine only because it could be made ahead and frozen. OMG I stumbled on a winner. It is a little bit of work, but the fact you can make it ahead of times takes the stress way down. It is one of my go to recipes for a hearty brunch dish."
"Great make ahead breakfast for company!"
"This is my recipes, so I am partial! I LOVE this recipes and you can certainly switch out the Havarti for any other cheese you like."