Flaky Danish Braids
Though this recipe takes a bit of time to make, it's completely worth it. The braids are a special breakfast treat on occasions like Easter or a family birthday. People will take seconds and thirds! —Debbie Ewald, Oak Grove, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes4 braids (6 slices each)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread each with a quarter of the filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- For each roll, starting 1 in. from one end, make two lengthwise cuts, making three sections. Braid the sections together, cut sides up. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Place braids on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool slightly. For icing, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over warm braids.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 434 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Flaky Breakfast Danish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.