Flaky Danish Braids
Though this recipe takes a bit of time to make, it's completely worth it. The braids are a special breakfast treat on occasions like Easter or a family birthday. People will take seconds and thirds! —Debbie Ewald, Oak Grove, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes4 braids (6 slices each)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread each with a quarter of the filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- For each roll, starting 1 in. from one end, make two lengthwise cuts, making three sections. Braid the sections together, cut sides up. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Place braids on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool slightly. For icing, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over warm braids.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 434 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Flaky Breakfast Danish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016