Flaky Creme-Filled Cookies
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Optional flavoring: 2 tablespoons baking cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Optional filling: seedless raspberry preserves, blueberry preserves or crushed peppermint candies
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in cold butter and cream cheese until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out with a floured 1-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 7-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat marshmallow creme and softened butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
- TO MAKE CHOCOLATE-RASPBERRY COOKIES: Beat cocoa into marshmallow creme mixture. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Spread raspberry preserves on the bottoms of remaining cookies; top with creme-topped cookies. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- TO MAKE LEMON-BLUEBERRY COOKIES: Beat lemon extract into marshmallow creme mixture. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Spread blueberry preserves on the bottoms of remaining cookies; top with creme-topped cookies. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- TO MAKE PEPPERMINT COOKIES: Beat peppermint extract into marshmallow creme mixture. (Tint with 1 drop red food coloring if desired.) Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Roll sides in peppermint candies if desired. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie (calculated without optional ingredients): 67 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 8, 2014
Wow, these are really delicious. They take some time, but they are worth it. I substituted a little margarine for the butter in the cookie, and for all of the butter in the creme filling. I did not add any flavor to the creme filling and used strawberry jam for the optional additional filling. They were outstanding!