Flaky Cranberry Walnut Tart
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
- Place the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor; cover and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolks, water, lemon juice and zest; cover and process until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, butter and water to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Cook, without stirring, until mixture turns a golden amber color, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in cream. Return to heat; stir in honey and salt until smooth. Stir in walnuts and cranberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into an 11-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; trim pastry even with edge. Add filling.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of tart; place over filling. Trim and seal edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 558 calories, 37g fat (16g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 4, 2014
Outstanding and different. Perfect balance of crunch, richness, sourness and sweetness. Was a huge hit and will become a favorite. Cut the pieces small - it's rich. I made in 11" tart pan so was thin, which i will do again.
Nov 23, 2009
I made this for a "dessert day" at work. Many of my co-workers asked for the recipe. Also made one for my family and they enjoyed it, too.
Nov 4, 2008
Great, was a hit at my brunch.