- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
- Place flour, butter and sugar in a food processor; cover and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolks, water, lemon juice and peel; cover and process until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, butter and water to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Cook, without stirring, until mixture turns a golden amber color, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in cream. Return to heat; stir in honey and salt until smooth. Stir in walnuts and cranberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into an 11-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; trim pastry even with edge. Add filling. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of tart; place over filling. Trim and seal edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forFlakey Cranberry Walnut Tart
"Outstanding and different. Perfect balance of crunch, richness, sourness and sweetness. Was a huge hit and will become a favorite. Cut the pieces small - it's rich. I made in 11" tart pan so was thin, which i will do again."
"I made this for a "dessert day" at work. Many of my co-workers asked for the recipe. Also made one for my family and they enjoyed it, too."
"Great, was a hit at my brunch."