- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 4 cod fillets (4 ounces each)
- Cooking spray
- Lemon wedges
- Arrange one oven rack at lowest rack setting; place second rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix sour cream, chopped pickle, pickle juice and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. julienne strips. Rinse well and pat dry. In a large bowl, toss with oil, salt and pepper; transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake on bottom oven rack 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and tender, turning once.
- For fish, in a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Place egg whites in a separate shallow bowl. Dip fish in egg whites, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz fish with cooking spray. Bake on top oven rack 14-16 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Serve with fries, sour cream mixture and lemon wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forFish & Chips with Dipping Sauce
"I feel bad being the nay-sayer but my husband and I weren't thrilled with this. I often cook fish in the oven, so the process wasn't new to me. The fish just didn't have enough flavor; I couldn't taste the garlic or onion powder at all. The sauce seemed to lack flavor as well. I couldn't taste any pickle juice in it at all. It was basically sour cream with chopped pickles inside. We did enjoy the potatoes though. I used a basting oil we have pre-made with thyme, garlic, and other herbs. We have so many other fish recipes we love that I highly doubt we'll be coming back to this."
"Delicious and easy to prepare."
"Love this recipe! It's very easy - my son likes to make the dipping sauce. My whole family will eat this."
"One of the best fish and chips recipes ... The pickle dip is outstanding. The perfect compliment to the fish. And, its not bad for you."