An aromatic blend of spices flavor this superb wine-based beverage. It is served warmed and it's sweet fruity taste will warm you to your toes. This traditional Scandinavian recipe is serve during the holidays.—Sue Brown, West Bend, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 cups port wine or apple cider, divided
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 orange peel strips (3 inches)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 5 slices fresh peeled gingerroot
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups wine, cranberries, brown sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Mash slightly and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Strain and discard pulp, orange peel and spices. Return mixture to pan; stir in the cider, almonds, raisins and remaining wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.