Fireside Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck or round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup dry cream of rice cereal
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (4.5 ounces) button mushrooms, undrained
- Cooked noodles
- 1. In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 199 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.