Fireside Beef Stew
This stew is perfect for warming up on a wintry day. It is a good dish to make when you're busy, since it's quick to prepare and doesn't need attention while cooking. Instead of noodles, I often serve it with rice.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or top round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup dry cream of rice cereal
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Fireside Beef Stew in Country December/January 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.