Firemen’s Meat Loaf
This was voted the best main dish in a cooking contest between fire stations in San Bernadino, California. I've used the recipe for years and shared it with many friends. - Peggy Stevens, Rogue River, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) cornbread stuffing mix, crushed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, prepare the cornbread stuffing according to package directions. Add eggs, mushrooms and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain. Top with chilies. Cover and bake 20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with salsa. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.