In Buellton, California, Kathleen Tribble spreads flour tortillas with seasoned mayonnaise, then fills them with crunchy broiled veggies. For fun presentation, wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap and tie with ribbon to resemble firecrackers.
Recommended: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/3 cups shredded lettuce
- Place vegetables in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spritz with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper. broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 16 minutes or until vegetables are browned, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine mayonnaise, parsley and remaining basil and garlic powder. Warm the tortillas; spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise mixture on each. Spoon 3/4 cup vegetables down the center; top with 1/3 cup lettuce. Fold bottom of tortilla over filling and roll up. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Firecracker Roll-Ups in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p35