Firecracker Roll-Up Cakes Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- LEMON FILLING:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, cubed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Red and blue paste or gel food coloring
- 8 large red, white and blue gumdrops
- 5 pieces uncooked spaghetti
- 1-inch star-shaped cookie cutter
- 1. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper and grease the paper. Set aside.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon extract for 5 minutes or until lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar, beating well.
- 3. In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir about a third of the whites into the yolk mixture. Fold in the remaining whites.
- 4. Combine the flour and baking powder. Fold into the egg mixture just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 5. Turn the cake roll onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off the parchment paper. Roll up the cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
- 6. For filling, combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Add the butter and stir until melted. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 7. Unroll the cake. Spread the filling evenly over the top of the cake to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Roll the cake up again. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 8. Using the serrated knife, cut the cake roll into one 5-1/2-inch-long piece and one 3-3/4-inch-long piece. Trim off the uncut ends of each cake roll. With a cut end down, place each cake roll on the serving plate.
- 9. For frosting, beat the cream cheese in a small mixing bowl until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar, lemon extract and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- 10. Tint 1/3 cup of frosting red and 1/4 cup blue. Frost the sides of the large firecracker white. Referring to the photo above left for position, frost the small firecracker red, white and blue, creating a striped pattern.
- 11. Flatten the gumdrops with a rolling pin. using a 1-inch star cookie cutter, cut eight gumdrop stars. Arrange three stars on the side of the large firecracker, press them gently into the frosting.
- 12. Insert one end of each spaghetti piece into a remaining gumdrop star. Break off the opposite end of each piece to create different lengths. Insert the spaghetti into the tops of the firecrackers. Yield: 8 servings.
Finished size: Excluding the gumdrop star decorations, large cake is about 3 inches wide x 5-1/2 inches high and small cake is about 3 inches wide x 3-3/4 inches high.
1 slice: 426 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.