Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 pieces red pull-and-peel licorice
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 drops blue food coloring
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 24 cupcakes of your choice
- Assorted red and blue sprinkles, optional
- Cut each licorice twist into five pieces; pull apart one end of each to make firecracker fuses. Set aside.
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 teaspoon water and red food coloring; add 1/2 cup coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint coconut. In another bag, combine 1/4 teaspoon water and blue food coloring; add remaining coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint.
- Spread whipped topping over cupcakes; decorate with coconut or sprinkles as desired. Insert firecraker fuses into tops. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 202 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 2, 2016
I made these with mini-cupcakes. They are very cute.
Aug 1, 2011
Made for a family reunion. Didn't do the coconut, used sprinkles instead. Big hit with the kids and adults too! Very easy. Will do again!
Jul 3, 2011
Very easy to make, I like the blue tinted coconut better with the red licorice. Took them to work, got lots of funny looks when I told fellow co workers there were fireworks in the frig. Very cute
Jun 28, 2011
This looks really good will have to try it
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.