Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 pieces red pull-and-peel licorice
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 4 drops blue food coloring
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 24 cupcakes of your choice
- Assorted red and blue sprinkles, optional
- Cut each licorice twist into five pieces; pull apart one end of each to make firecracker fuses. Set aside.
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 teaspoon water and red food coloring; add 1/2 cup coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint coconut. In another bag, combine 1/4 teaspoon water and blue food coloring; add remaining coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint.
- Spread whipped topping over cupcakes; decorate with coconut or sprinkles as desired. Insert firecraker fuses into tops. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 202 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 2, 2016
I made these with mini-cupcakes. They are very cute.
Aug 1, 2011
Made for a family reunion. Didn't do the coconut, used sprinkles instead. Big hit with the kids and adults too! Very easy. Will do again!
Jul 3, 2011
Very easy to make, I like the blue tinted coconut better with the red licorice. Took them to work, got lots of funny looks when I told fellow co workers there were fireworks in the frig. Very cute
Jun 28, 2011
This looks really good will have to try it