Finnish Wheat Rolls
When I came to the United States from Finland for college, I missed the breads from back home. So I came up with this recipe to recapture those fabulous flavors.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, parsley, rosemary, salt, sage, thyme and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with additional melted butter. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 172 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.