Finnish Cinnamon Rolls
These cinnamon-spiced goodies aren't too sweet, and the hint of cardamom offers a nice change of pace from traditional iced rolls. Prepare to hear raves!—Mrs. Jim Albie, Brainerd, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 8 to 12 cardamom pods
- 1 cup 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Remove seeds from cardamom pods; coarsely crush seeds. Add the seeds, milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18x10-in. rectangle; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices; place cut side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar mixture.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and 2 teaspoons sugar; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 225 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Finish Bisquit in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.