Finnish Cinnamon Rolls
These cinnamon-spiced goodies aren't too sweet, and the hint of cardamom offers a nice change of pace from traditional iced rolls. Prepare to hear raves!—Mrs. Jim Albie, Brainerd, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 8 to 12 cardamom pods
- 1 cup 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Remove seeds from cardamom pods; coarsely crush seeds. Add the seeds, milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18x10-in. rectangle; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices; place cut side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar mixture.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and 2 teaspoons sugar; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.