- 2 cups cubed day-old rye bread
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flat beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; bake at 300° for 15-20 minutes or until crisp. In a large skillet, saute cauliflower in butter with the caraway seeds until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in bread and cheese. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, beer, mustard, coriander and pepper. Pour over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFinnish Cauliflower
"The flavor of the beer overpowered everything else and was off-putting. I might try it again without the beer, though I'm not sure what liquid to substitute for it."
"I really enjoyed this dish. it's light , but has a lot of interesting flavors. certainly making this again in the future!"
"every one loves this recipe I have requests for it after every potluck I take it to."
"This is a tasty comfort food that is easy for non-cauliflower lovers to eat, and it is a good use for old bread. On the other hand, it is not as flavorful as I expected; perhaps more spices would bump it up a little. But still, it's worth making again when I need a filling side dish with a bit of veggie nutrition tucked inside."
"I used light butter and cheese and 4 egg whites and one whole egg. A self-proclaimed cauliflower hater was the one who polished it off!"
"Have made this recipe several times and it is one of my favorites!"
"I had a 2# chunk of ham and was debating on chunking it up into a pasta dish when this recipe in the new tasteofhome edition caught my eye. I made this cauliflower dish exactly as presented, using my favorite Oroweat Dill Rye bread and warmed the sliced ham with apricot jam atop. Fresh green beans compleated the meal. This is a rich dish so I can make it a main dish with a big salad too!"