Finnish Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Gradually add 1-1/4 cups flour. Knead in remaining flour. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 in. thickness. Cut with a 1-1/2 to 2-in. cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over cutouts. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 56 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 4, 2017
Love these!! My great grandmother used to make these when I was a small child. They are hard to get the hang of making but are so good!
Dec 24, 2014
I tried this recipe... the dough was too dry and crumbly after adding only 1/2 cup of flour. I eventually got it mixed in and formed a ball. When I took it out of the refrigerator it was solid as a rock! I might try them again, and see if I was just having an off baking day.
Jan 15, 2013
not very good.
Dec 24, 2012
I am not sure what went wrong but my dough was incredibly crumbly. Bummer because they smell so good.
Nov 6, 2009
This recipe is delicious. I will be sure to make them for Christmas and probably before. I think they would be good with coffee and ice cream.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.