VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon olive or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 flounder or sole fillet (about 8 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- Thinly sliced green onion, optional
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and butter until butter is melted. Fry fish over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add garlic and ginger to skillet; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over fish. Sprinkle with chives and onion if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Fillets with Ginger Sauce in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p222