Filled Coffee Cake Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the coffee, oil and egg. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop 1 teaspoon preserves into center of each muffin; cover with remaining batter. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 237 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 19, 2012
Hi Sweetcook - there are three things that will cause a dry muffin.Over-mixing - you want to mix just until blended.Over-baking - you want a few crumbs on your toothpick.Too much flour - make sure you fluff up your flour before you measure it.
Nov 19, 2012
hi, can someone tell me why mine didn't turn as moist as others say?
Aug 7, 2012
This is excellent. The recipe comes together quickly. Muffins are moist and laced with perfect coffee flavor. I love the topping too. You can read my full review at: http://bit.ly/QbQ0va
Oct 14, 2011
These were a huge hit at the office meeting!!! The aroma these muffins make in the house while baking is awesome!
Jul 14, 2011
Made these delicious and moist muffins with apricot preserves. I cut the dry batter ingredients with pastry cutter first, then added the wet ingredients. Used a very strong coffee brew. Use the pastry cutter again for the topping and use ALL of it on the muffins. Came out just like those muffins in coffee shops.
Apr 14, 2011
Delicious muffins! I used some homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam instead of the apricot preserves.
Apr 12, 2011
Everyone who tried one, liked it. They are very yummy! I used flavored coffee in one batch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.