- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 whole garlic bulb, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Combine the first six ingredients. Add chicken; refrigerate, covered, 20-30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Pat chicken dry.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Stir in water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink and sauce is slightly reduced, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve chicken with cooking sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFilipino Chicken Adobo
"A new family favorite! We made it with boneless skinless thighs, and it was delicious. Love all the garlic and vinegar. Thank you for sharing!"
"This was very GOOD. It is going into my recipe book."
"This is one of my favorite chicken recipes. I was given the recipe by my neighbor, who got it from her Filipino grandmother. We serve it with sticky rice, and yes, it is even better the next day!"
"I made this recipe exactly as written. My mom's best friend was Filipino when I was growing up and my mom used to make her chicken Adobo recipe. I always loved it when she made it and I have been looking for the recipe for years. Well, this is it! This is definitely going into my 3-ring binder of "keeper recipes" and will be cooked often. It is so flavorful and the chicken is so tender. My husband loved it! Many thanks to Michael Moya for sharing his mom's recipe."