Filets with Mushroom Sauce
I serve this dish to company because it's simple to make, but looks as if I spent hours in the kitchen.—Carolyn Brinkmeyer, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, basil, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 278 calories, 14g fat (0 saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Fillets with Mushroom Sauce in Country Woman September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips