VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large whole garlic bulb
- 1/4 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon strips
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with oil. Sprinkle with thyme. Wrap the bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a mixer or food processor. Add butter; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a small bowl. Stir in cheese. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Rub both sides of steaks with pepper. Wrap a bacon strip around each steak; secure with a toothpick. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-12 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer reads 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), basting with butter mixture. Serve with any remaining butter mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Fillet Mignon with Garlic Cheese Butter in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p136