Hazelnuts, or filberts, are by far the most important nut crop grown commercially in the Pacific Northwest.—Hollis Mattson, Puyallup, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy;. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and cardamom; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in chopped nuts. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 124 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Filbertines in Country February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.