Fig & Wine-Sauced Chicken Kabobs
The well-balanced blend of flavors in these kabobs make them extra special. Figs give the dish a beautiful fruity quality.—Barbara Wheeler, Royal Oak, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 5 small onions, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/4 pounds dried figs
- 2-1/2 cups sweet white wine
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 pound small fresh portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked rice
- Fresh mint leaves and lemon wedges, optional
- Grate two onions; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the oil, garlic and chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring figs and wine to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until figs are plumped and tender. Remove figs; keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2/3 cup. Add the marmalade, preserves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut remaining onions into 1-in. pieces. Drain chicken; discard marinade. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the chicken, onions and mushrooms.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally.
- Serve kabobs with rice and reserved figs; drizzle with sauce. Garnish with mint and lemon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 kabob with 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without rice): 529 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 13g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as CHICKEN KEBOBS IN WINE AND FIG SAUCE in Country Woman June/July 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.