Sautéed shallots, fig jam, rosemary, lemon and Sherry vinegar make a delicious sauce for both the chicken and the beans. My husband couldn’t believe how well the white beans absorbed the flavor making this a grand slam. Matchstick carrots can be added to the bean mixture for extra color, flavor and crunch.
Recommended: Fig Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup fig preserves
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 4 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Mix first eight ingredients. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches, starting skin side down. Remove from pan, reserving drippings.
- In drippings, saute shallots until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Stir in preserves mixture; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add chicken. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Add beans; return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175°, 12-15 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Fig-Glazed Chicken with White Beans in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018