VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 small onions, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/4 pounds dried figs
- 2-1/2 cups sweet white wine
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 pound small fresh portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked rice
- Fresh mint leaves and lemon wedges, optional
- Grate two onions; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the oil, garlic and chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring figs and wine to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until figs are plumped and tender. Remove figs; keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2/3 cup. Add the marmalade, preserves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut remaining onions into 1-in. pieces. Drain chicken; discard marinade. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the chicken, onions and mushrooms.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally.
- Serve kabobs with rice and reserved figs; drizzle with sauce. Garnish with mint and lemon if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Fig & Wine-Sauced Chicken Kabobs in Country Woman June/July 2011, p41
Reviews forFig & Wine-Sauced Chicken Kabobs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 28, 2014
"Super good, takes time."