Fiesta Tamales Recipe
- 4-3/4 cups masa harina
- 2-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 2 envelopes Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 48 dried corn husks
- CHICKEN FILLING:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- VEGETABLE FILLING:
- 1-1/2 cups sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) pepper Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, broth, salsa, oil, corn, onions, Sazón seasoning and salt; beat until well blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Place corn husks in a large bowl; cover with cold water and soak for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; add the chipotle pepper, garlic, oregano and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Add chicken and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- 4. For vegetable tamales, drain corn husks and pat dry. Place a corn husk on a work surface with the small end pointing away from you. Place 1/4 cup dough over half of husk closest to you, spreading dough to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle olives and cheeses down the center.
- 5. Lifting one long side, fold husk over filling so that edges meet, enclosing filling in husk. Fold ends of husk over tamale; tie with corn husk strips. Repeat 11 times. For chicken tamales, use 1/4 cup dough on each corn husk and 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Repeat 11 times, folding and tying each tamale.
- 6. Line a large steamer basket with four corn husks. Place basket in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water; position half of the tamales upright in basket.
- 7. Cover tamales with four corn husks. Bring to a boil; cover and steam in batches for 50-60 minutes or until dough peels away from husk, adding hot water to pan as needed and replacing corn husks in pan. Remove husks before eating. Yield: 2 dozen.
2 tamales: 571 calories, 37g fat (12g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1227mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Fiesta Tamales
"Lots of ingredients, but love using rotisserie chicken - and it was really tasty - it's a keeper"