When time is short, Sandra Castillo relies on this family-pleasing main dish. "It's so easy to fix, and everyone loves the zesty flavor that the salsa and chili beans provide," comments the Sun Prairie, Wisconsin cook.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 10 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain macaroni; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine salsa and cheese. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Stir into the skillet; add the macaroni and beans. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 473 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Fiesta Macaroni in Quick Cooking May/June 2002
Oct 24, 2014
Easy and tastes great!
Dec 12, 2012
We thought this was good but needed something more. I may try making again with some mexicorn or black olives and perhaps top with sour cream before serving.